The purpose of the Guidelines for Acceleration is to outline conditions and criteria for acceleration.
“Acceleration” is either:
1. Full year acceleration e.g. Year 9 to Year 10; or
2. Could involve multi-level studies within the school (single subject acceleration), concurrent university study or a subject via correspondence.
Guidelines for Acceleration
- Students may be accelerated when they meet most of the acceleration criteria
- Individual programming for students may involve a variety of strategies including differentiated learning
- Effective support must be made available to accelerated students
- All accelerate students (with the exception of those accelerated in Mathematics) should in the first instance go through the HPL Coordinator
- All students wishing to accelerate must make a written application (available from the HPL Coordinator)
- Where there is major disruption to the student’s core programme (eg. missing two or more periods of any core subject) acceleration will not go ahead.